Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Scrambled Falafel Pitas

Pin It Now!
Benjamin Franklin is quoted as saying that “beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” This is potentially the most profound statement ever made. However, I find Benjamin Franklin’s thought process to be incomplete. There are several other items that he neglected to mention that are gifts from on high illustrating that we are to be joyful creatures, and they are as follows (and in no particular order):

         1. Duane Allman's guitar
         2. Downton Abbey
         3. Nude high heels
         4. Chickpeas

Chickpeas are awesome. Chickpeas make hummus possible… and veggie burgers… and falafel.

Falafel is delicious. I was unaware of falafel’s existence until I was in college.  When I would hear people talking about it, I thought that they were referring to a foot fungus they had caught in the community shower.


Boy was I wrong....




Scrambled Falafel Pitas
Yields: 4 servings



Ingredients:
1 cup of dried chickpeas, **soaked in water overnight**
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 cup kale, chopped
1/2 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
2 TBS extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup hummus
4 pitas, halved
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Drain the chickpeas and place into a food processor, pulse the chickpeas, cumin, and coriander until they are broken down, make sure not to puree them. Set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, cooking until translucent (about 3 to 5 minutes).
3. Add the chickpeas and stir to combine with the onions (think scrambled eggs). Allow the chickpeas to lightly brown, stirring occasionally (may be 5 to 7 minutes).
4. Add the kale and peppers, cooking until the kale softens, about 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Spread hummus on the pitas and add the falafel scramble.
6. Nomnomnom.





7 comments:

  1. chickpeas are infinitely awesome and I can't wait to make these. I love falafel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice chickpeas are my favorites and go great in this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. foot fungus, you are so funny ... nice recipes... by the way, check this out when you have time - a few pics from procurements of a job this past weekend: http://bit.ly/HgcbTg

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like chickpeas too and the pitas sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so funny Emily:) I love, love falafels! And I'm love-loving your recipe. Thanks for sharing I'm going to give it a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being surrounded by renowned schools including Cedar Primary School, Maris Stella High School (Primary), and the St.
    Andrew's Village suite of Kindergarten to Junior College education. the interlace condo

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say??? Tell me! I'd love to hear your thoughts!