I had so much fun coming up with this recipe with my boss. I sat on the flower shop floor as we talked it into existence. We created this beauty out of thin air. And giggled along the way.
Did I mention that I love my job?!
There was a ton of great chili to be had entered by restaurants and other non-restaurant businesses, as well as neighborhood folks!
We made a chili using ground buffalo. Delicious!!! We won People's Choice! I did a happy dance. Twice.
We had a secret ingredient. Secret ingredients require a James-Bond-like stealthiness. You want it to enhance your recipe, but be undetectable as it is a secret! I always wanted to say that there was a secret ingredient in something that I had created and now I can!
I would share with the recipe for our super amazing chili, but I'd have to kill you. Remember I said there was a secret ingredient?! And I like having you around. Also, I may need to use this recipe as a bargaining chip in the event I am kidnapped by a mob of bandit ninjas.
.....But I will totally fork over the cracker recipe.
The crackers ended up being a perfect accompaniment to the chili. Everyone is used to eating cornbread with their chili. I love cornbread. It's delicious, but pretty typical. And I live to be a-typical. So, these crackers were a great way of introducing a cheesy cornmeal flavor without being cornbread!
Smoked Gouda Crackers
Adapted from Allrecipes
Yields: A ton of crackers.
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup smoked gouda, shredded
1/4 cup milk
1. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees
3. Sift together the cornmeal, flour, and salt.
4. Cut in the butter (I recommend using your fingers.. you get to play with your food. I need any excuse I can to play with my food. And you get to make sure that the butter is really well incorporated, which is an added bonus).
5. Stir in the cheese and add the milk.
6. Knead the dough a few times to make sure it's well incorporated.
7. Roll out on a well-floured surface to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into your desired cracker shape.
8. Place onto your prepared baking sheet and bake for approximately 15 minutes.