Monday, April 16, 2012

Barbecue Chicken Pizza

Pin It Now!

We all have traits that we inherit honestly.  For instance, I inherited my sense of humor, love of cheese,  and coloring from my father and my sweet dance moves, sociability, and cheek bones from my mother.

We also have traits that we are unable to account for their roots. Like my inability to whistle. Or my love for sentence fragments.

I don't think I inherited my pizza obsession.  It is a personal trait that is not genetic: My husband is happy as long as he has a slice in his hand. I think his trait has rubbed off on me and I cannot even begin to complain. 

Because of this, I make pizza a lot. Since I make pizza a lot, I often feel the need to experiment.

Usually when I experiment, I decide to treat my friends as if they were guinea pigs and try out my new recipes on them. This one received rave reviews, so I have decided to share it with you all!

Happy Pizza-ing!



Barbecue Chicken Pizza (beer not included, but encouraged)
Yields: 4 servings



Ingredients:
1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
1 chicken breast, pan fried and shredded
1 cup kale, chopped
2 TBS butter, melted
Cornmeal (for a pizza peel)

 Pizza dough:
1 TBS instant yeast
1 TBS sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup water (at approximately 115 degrees) 
2 + cups bread flour

Directions:
1. Combine the yeast, sugar, and salt in a medium sized bowl. Add the water, whisking the ingredients altogether, and allow it to sit for about 5 minutes (to proof the yeast!). 
2.  Add the flour and mix until the dough pulls away from the bowl (depending upon the humidity, you may need more than 2 cups of flour), kneading it a few times. Cover the bowl with a dish towel and allow it to rise for an hour.  
3. Punch down the pizza dough to deflate it.
4. Preheat your oven (preferably with a baking stone) for 500 degrees. If you do not have a baking stone, grease a pizza pan. 
5. In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the kale and cook until it has softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside. 
6. Once the oven as completed preheating, pull the dough from the bowl, and knead it a few times on a well-floured surface. Roll the dough to 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch thickness. 
7. Pour the melted butter on top of the rolled out dough (ooo, yum, decadent). Drizzle on half of the barbecue sauce. Top with the caramelized onions, kale, and chicken. Finish with drizzling the remaining barbecue sauce. 
8. (If using a baking stone, cornmeal your pizza peel) Put pizza into the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Keep an eye on it every minute or so after you hit the 5 minute mark, to make sure it doesn't overcook! 
9. Slice and enjoy!




14 comments:

  1. No cheese, eh? Cool! I put a combo of smoked gouda and mozzarella on our bbq chicken pizzas. I've yet to meet a pizza that I didn't like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily! I agree...I have a very unusual obsession with pizza...and I can't trace it back to my parents. We eat it at least once a week! This looks so delicious. I'm glad I finally had a chance to visit. I've been just swamped with work and school. But as always, your post brought a smile to my face. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm..mm...I want some too! My kids are totally obsessed with pizza. haha.... Hope you're having a great day, dear.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, this looks lovely! The base looks just right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily...I love pizza but really prefer non traditional pizzas like this one! This just looks so scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun Pizza, Emily! And dare I say, I don't usually eat Pizza! (I know beat me with a wet noodle:) So glad the "guinea pigs" enjoyed it. I could use a few "testers" around here:)

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. love making pizza on the bbq, especially chicken

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your addition of caramelized onions on your BBQ pizza. chicken + caramelized onions on pizza is always very yummy :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emily, you have outdone yourself, again! What a great meal idea. I love pizza and so does everyone in my family. Have never made pizza on the BBQ so your idea is timely as summer is nigh. And what an idea for carmelized onions. Bravo, Emily! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Emily, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Emily, very American pizza, although here in Europe BBQ flavor is also popular. Kind regards.

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say??? Tell me! I'd love to hear your thoughts!