Tuesday, March 13, 2012

One for my Husband: Irish Soda Bread (2 ways!)

Pin It Now! My husband has a great name.

Tim Malloy. 

It's sturdy. It's timeless. And also quite Irish.

This time of year brings out the pride of those having Irish ancestry, especially in Philadelphia. Beer and mustaches are dyed green for the feast day of St. Patrick. The St. Patty's Day Parade is also a time of great celebration in the streets of Philadelphia.

Great. But, what does this have to do with my husband?

Very often people will comment on how Irish his name is, the comments reach a height during the month of March. This is most likely because his name is undistinguishable from the name of an old catholic gang from the 1920s in Glasgow, "Timalloy" or Tim Malloys, associated with the Celtic Football Club. This term is now used as a nickname for the fans of that football club, often shortened as "Tims."

I did not grow up in a house full of Irish Soda Bread and other great Irish treats around the 17th of March, particularly because I am not of Irish heritage (ah, makes sense, right?). And, being of Irish descent, my husband did. So, this time of year, I always try to make a little something for him to enjoy and this Irish Soda Bread was it!

This one is for my husband! Éirinn go brách, Tim Malloy!! :)


Irish Soda Bread (2 Ways)
Yields 6 to 8 servings






Ingredients:
3.5 cups cake flour or all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup raisins, optional
1 and 1/4 to 1 and 1/2 cups buttermilk //or// a dairy-free version: 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups soy milk or almond milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and grease a cast-iron skillet.
2. Whisk together the dry ingredients. *If doing the dairy-free version: combine the vinegar and soy milk, and allow it to stand for 3-5 minutes to curdle.
3. Slowly add the milk, stirring until a dough forms. It may take between 1 and 1 and 1/2 cups, depending upon the humidity.
4. Knead the dough for about 10 seconds, form into a ball and place into the prepared skillet.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes.


207 calories   |   1g fat    |    6g protein

19 comments:

  1. Aww, what a sweet dedication to your husband with this Irish soda bread! It looks delicious and I bet it would make one heck of a bread pudding or French toast. Mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, this soda bread looks fabulous! Sounds like it will be great with a bit of butter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My half Irish hubby is just happy if I DON'T make corned beef. I'm making some soda bread over the weekend...just love the stuff and yours looks perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Irish soda bread wow does this looks fabulous you amaze me! perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks awesome! i also have a pretty Irish name (Amy Donovan), so i always try to cook a few great irish meals around this time of year, too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great history lesson and quite correct! I come from just outside Glasgow and would watch Celtic play.
    Great post..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post.We're all a little bit Irish on St.Patrick's Day. Happy Day to you and Tim Malloy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emily, it looks delicious and your husband will enjoy the bread as well as the thought that has gone into its creation. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Irish Soda Bread! We just talked about it at work yesterday and someone brought in two loaves from ShopRite because we're too lazy to bake our own!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beauty - perfect for the day - or really any day. Love Irish names - the roll off the tongue so musically.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the story about your husband's name! I've never made Irish soda bread but this gorgeous recipe has me craving some.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How sweet!! irish bread is a family fav in March, glad to have 2 new ways to enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going to attempt to bake up an Irish Soda Bread this weekend. Wish me Luck!!!

    Love the story, Emily. I guess there is some truth to the proclamation that everyone is Irish on St. Patty's Day!

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Outstanding :) This will certainly make this Italian girl's Irish husband a very happy camper! I've got everything right in the fridge...gonna have to sub the cream with coconut milk though. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This soda bread looks absolutely terrific - I missed eating one this St. Patrick's day, maybe next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. this looks amazing. happy st. patrick's day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Emily,

    I hope you had a great holiday. The bread looks really good. I have yet to bake some soda bread. But really need to. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not Irish...so I'm not so familiar with many Irish recipes (ok ok...I won't lie...I love Bailey's over ice!) So I've yet to try an Irish soda bread. But this turned out lovely and I really want to give it a go. Like Kiran above, I need a cast iron skillet asap! : )

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say??? Tell me! I'd love to hear your thoughts!