Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Salmon and Pesto on a Whole Wheat Parmesan Flatbread

Pin It Now!
I am an experimenter. What can I say?

My mom used to jokingly call me her 'little risk taker' when I was growing up. I suppose I haven't changed all that much since my youth.

-My hair still is curly.
-Big bird is still my main squeeze.
-The movie Beetle Juice still freaks me out.
-I like to break the tension with my husband by karate chopping him, or channeling my inner Chuck Norris to roundhouse kick him. I'm mature.
-I am still insanely klutzy and have the bruises and scars to prove it.

Yeah, not much has changed, aside from the fact that I am no longer a size 2. Sigh.

Where am I getting with all of this? Oh yes, back to risk taking.

Now, I channel my risk taking nature into cooking dinner. My poor husband.

At least I'm not yelling "Geronimo!" and jumping from the top of the steps and consequently hitting my head on the drop ceiling and knocking myself out. Yes. Yes, that really happened. I wish I could say it was the only time I knocked myself out with my childhood shenanigans, but it isn't. (Ah, why I am such a weirdo is coming into place now!)

Sometimes taking risks with dinner is worth it and completely rewarding. However, there are times when it can be a total flop! But like Wayne Gretzky said, "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

I tend to take the majority of my risks out on flatbreads. You can get away with more on a flatbread, I think!

This, ladies and gents, was NOT a flop! Crisis averted and dinner served! :)

Salmon and Pesto Flatbread
Yields: 4 servings
flatbread, seafood flatbread, salmon, salmon flatbread, seafood pizza

Ingredients
for the dough-
1 & 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

for the pesto-
3 cups arugula, washed and dried
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup walnuts

for the toppings-
4 oz salmon, cubed
2 artichoke hearts
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
2 TBS walnuts, chopped
Dijon mustard

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, preferably with a baking stone!
2. In a food processor combine all of the ingredients for the dough, except for the water. With the machine running on low, slowly add the water until a ball forms. Knead the dough for 2 minutes on a lightly floured surface, wrap up in either plastic wrap or a clean dish towel and set aside for a few minutes.
3. Also in your food processor, combine all of the ingredients for your pesto. Run the machine, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides, until a nice sauce forms. Feel free to add or lessen the olive oil, depending upon how thick you would like the sauce.
4. Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Top with the pesto sauce.
5. Place toppings on top, put some occasional pours of mustard on top of the flatbread.
6. Bake for approximately 15 to 20 minutes, keeping an eye to make sure it doesn't burn!
7. Eat and enjoy!

28 comments:

  1. That photo is AMAZING! I love salmon and I wouldn't have ever thought to put it on pizza. I'm glad Blogger is working for you... I'm having issues on my end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you amaze me,emily,so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh MY DELICIOUS!!! this looks FANTASTIC!! I am getting hungry just looking at it! I love that it is healthy too! I am going to try and make this this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this dish! Thank you for the experimentation and sharing it with us! Love the karate chopping ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are always good with making delicious flatbread with great toppings! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karate chop...love it...and love this flatbread!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If there is one thing I love it is whole wheat pizza. And salmon! All in the package.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM. This looks amazing - my baking stone cracked and I have to get a new one. Haha, I karate chop and roundhouse kick poor Poppa Trix! I swear if you weren't so much younger than I am I would say we were separated at birth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow salmon pizza, that IS courageous! Looks good though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks awesome! I would never think to put salmon on a pizza but why not!?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your flatbread looks amazing. Sometimes the risks are worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. delicious healthy bread flavourful with the salmon and pesto

    ReplyDelete
  13. You risky little cook :) It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like this risk was definitely worth taking! The arugula pest sounds great with the salmon, and the whole wheat crust is the perfect base.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely fantastic! My kind of food and I love wholewheat base. I have made recently healthier option of my favourite summer pizza, I think you would like it. :) All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow this whole wheat flatbread with pesto looks amaaaaazing! And risk taker? Yes, got one over here too. Maybe we can match bruises and burns? I am a super klutz, my boyfriend jokes that I need to 'evaluate the risk level' of everything I am doing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing recipe......super yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your story - so cute! Even better, your flat bread is mouthwatering. I can't think of a healthier alternative to pizza. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Emily, this sounds delicious. I would love to have a slice of this. It looks wonderful. I hope you have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, that's perfect for salmon and I'm sure glad you took the risk! good post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Emily you are so funny :) I'm also a risk taker, I love experimenting with food. Your salmon pesto flatbread looks amazing. Great mix of flavors.

    (P.S. I need you to add a YBR button to either your recipe or blog sidebar, please. Thanks.)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like your experiment was a success daaaahling! This really does look delicious. I love salmon.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  23. Emily, you're brilliant! the bread looks awesome. I hvae to bookmark this to try out sopn. Thanks for sharing, dear. Enjoy your day.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love it! You can experiment with goodies like this on me any day :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW! This looks incredibly delicious and I love your pictures! Loving your blog and so glad to be your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. One word: YUM! Salmon, pesto & pizza? What a perfect combination! Do you have any recommendation as to using fresh or frozen salmon? We half some frozen fillets in the fridge that would be perfect for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say??? Tell me! I'd love to hear your thoughts!