Thursday, June 9, 2011

Getting the Most Out of Summer's Bounty: Fresh Salsa- from your garden!

Pin It Now!

I’m not sure if you’ve seen the news as of late, but in America, it’s HOT.

I mean it’s hotter than hot. Melt the make-up off of your face kind of hot. These are the days that I am so glad that I do not draw on my eyebrows! Ah! Can you imagine?!

With the heat of summertime comes the beautiful bounty Mother Nature gives us! It is such a pleasure to have a vegetable garden. There is nothing quite like making a meal from produce that you grew in your garden!!

Here's a sneak peek at how my garden is coming along:



oooo... she's a beaut, Clark! ($20 to the first person who knows which movie that's from... okay, so maybe only 50 cents.) It's just begging to be turned into salsa, pizza sauce, or simply sliced down with drizzled balsamic vinegar and sliced mozzarella. When it's ripe, of course!



Repeat after me. Pepper.
Pepper.
Pepppper.
Waiter there is too much pepper in my paprikash.
Any When Harry Met Sally fans out there?!?!?

I loooove jalapenos. I cannot WAIT for these to be ready. Yum, yum, yum!

To inspire you to stay motivated to keep up with your vegetable garden, or to get one started (it's not too late!), I am presenting to you a FOOL PROOF great recipe that you can use some of your garden's bounty to create!

And this way of making salsa won't require you to even turn on your stove! .....Your make-up survives another day!

Fresh Garden Salsa
Yields: 3 cups

salsa, how to make salsa, tomatoes, garden, onions, jalapeno, mexican

Ingredients
2 to 3 medium tomatoes, finely diced (or 10 to 12 mini tomatoes, what ever you are growing!)
½ cup white onion, finely diced
1 jalapeno, seeds removed (and set aside) and diced
½ cup red bell pepper, diced
1 TBS lime juice
1 TBS apple cider vinegar
1 TBS each of the following: chili powder, cumin, cilantro, oregano
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Combine all of the ingredients. If you are a spicy kind of person, add leftover jalapeno seeds to add more of a kick.
2. Serve in your favorite way of eating salsa and ENJOY!

27 comments:

  1. It's been unusually cold here in Northern California, but we finally had a nice day yesterday! I have two tomato plants with plenty of tomatoes on them, and I can't wait for them to get ripe!!! I love salsa, and yours sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup - heading up near the 100s today. Need something fresh and light!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photo with the salsa is beautiful! I wish I had some chips. :))
    I make sooo many jars of salsa because my garden is sooo good to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily first time in your delicious blog and love to see your fresh garden salsa! Your fool proof recipe is really awesome for summer and I must say you have a beautiful eye appealing garden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden looks gorgeous. And it's super-hot up here in Canada, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to say that quote is from Christmas Vacation but could be wrong. Either way love that movie.
    And....When Harry Met Sally....YAY! I could watch it every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is nothing better than fresh salsa - especially using veggies from your own garden!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo I love that last photo of the salsa in the yellow bowl on that rustic table! Beautiful! :) And hot??? Wow, I would kill for some actually hot weather here in SD, here it is just... lukewarm. Waiting for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, your salsa looks just the way I like it...beautiful and with a kick! Wish I had enough sun in my yard to grow tomatoes...so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. congrats on your gorgeous tomato plant not always very easy to get one that looks that healthy just perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your fresh garden salsa sounds and looks delicious and so refreshing! It reached 102F in Minnesota early this week, and fresh salsa sounds very good. I'm so jealous that you have a vegetable garden!! Having one in my backyard is one of my long-term goals...

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice billy crystal shout-out. :)
    alas, my thumb isn't the least bit green. fortunately, my mother's is, and she's generous. looks like your garden is thriving!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I gave up on growing tomatoes, just gets too darn hot down here, the stiffing heat suffocates them, at least in my yard...oh well, have to rely on true farmers for mine
    nothing better that a cool, fresh salsa and yours is just perfect, of course...

    ReplyDelete
  14. National Lampoon's Vacation, 50 cents is better than nothing. LOL! Your salsa sounds spicy good to me. Near 100 here for a couple of days and now it's 52 degrees and storming. From a/c back to heat again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nothing better that salsa from fresh garden goodies :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hot as hades here too. Oh well at least the peppers like the heat and we like peppers so it all works out:-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. hot and humid here also..love fresh salsa, perfect for a cool evening in..

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love homemade salsa! My grandpa makes it fresh from his garden as well...it is always one of my favorite parts of visiting home in the summer :) Yours looks fantastic as well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks awesome - you know, I would love one of those green tomatoes to fry up!!! yummmm Send me one, k?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those pictures are truly outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice Recipe,

    I just read a good article about growing your own chillies and now I know what to make with them :)

    http://www.wascene.com/home-garden/grow-your-own-chillies/

    Regards,
    Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful! Absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love these pics. So wish I had an outdoor space. I am looking into going in with some friends on a community plot. Then, I can pick tomatoes, too! Thank goodness, it has cooled off this week.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Emily, it is so hot in my neck of the woods that the mizuna, broccoli rabe and radishes all bolted prematurely last week... Now I've just got to wait patiently for the tomatoes and peppers to ripen... Your salsa is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love all your pictures. I love the idea too of having an edible garden.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My comment just disappeared before my very eyes. Just like that salsa would disappear into hungry mouths in my home. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That salsa looks and sounds delicious.I also loved your photos today. Have a great time in that garden and enjoy the day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say??? Tell me! I'd love to hear your thoughts!