Thursday, May 12, 2011

Old Fashioned Buttermilk Waffles

Pin It Now!
There is nothing quite like breakfast. Well, there is nothing like a good old-fashioned-eat-so-much-you-have-to-unbutton-your-pants kind of breakfast.

Sigh. How romantic.

Every once in a while, I get a real hunkering for a good old fashioned breakfast and this weekend was no exception.

WAFFLES! I thought would do the trick to cure the hunker! ....And you don't get more old fashioned than waffles! They're delicious! They help you to conquer your day! Heck, they might help you to conquer the world!

I mean, I'm sure Attila the Hun consumed tons of waffles before expanding and unifying the Hunnic empire in the mid-400s.

That is incredibly factual.

So, make yourself like Attila the Hun and make yourself these waffles and conquer your day (...but with a little less war, and not so much invasion, and perhaps zero pillaging, if you can help it, please!).

Hey... HEY YOU! Did you forget to enter into the giveaway?!?!? You have until Sunday!!!! Click here and enter, k?! Go on and click! "Sit ubu sit! Good boy!"


Old Fashioned Buttermilk Waffles

Recipe Courtesy: Mark Bittman, How to Cook Everything

Yields: 4 to 6 Servings or 1 Attila the Hun

waffles, buttermilk waffles, breakfast, breakfast waffles, delicious waffles, easy waffles, old fashioned breakfast


Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 TBS sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 3/4 cups buttermilk* or 1 1/2 cups sour cream or plain yogurt thinned with 1/4 cup milk
2 eggs, separated
4 TBS (1/2 stick butter, melted and cooled)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Canola oil

Directions:

1. In a medium sized bowl, combine the dry ingredients.

2. In another bowl, mix together the buttermilk, sour cream or yogurt and the egg yolks only. After well combined, add the butter and vanilla.

3. Coat the waffle iron lightly with oil and preheat it.

4. Combine the wet and dry ingredients, keeping the egg whites aside.

5. Beat the egg whites with a whisk or an electric mixer until they hold soft peaks. Stir them gently into the batter.

6. Spread a ladleful or so of batter onto the waffle iron and bake until the waffle is done, usually 3 to 5 minutes, depending on your iron. Serve immediately or keep warm for a few minutes in a low oven.

* The buttermilk can be substituted with 1 1/4 cups of milk at room temperature, mixed with two tablespoons white vinegar, left to clabber for 10 minutes.


13 comments:

  1. Emily, yours look so perfect! How can I resist. :o) Hope you're having a fabulous day.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fact: Buttermilk waffles are the b-fast version of mac and cheese for me. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just gave a hunkering for a good ole classic waffles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waffles are my favorite breakfast although I love them with fresh fruits I always eat the first one off the iron since it isnt the prettiest... these look perfect now I am craving them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got me at some classic waffles! They are mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at "Old Fashioned" I'm all for vintage breakfast, specially with sweet yummy waffles. And yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum, love waffles. I saw this new restaurant that serves sweet and savory sandwiches with waffles in place of bread. I've got to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Comments back?? I had wanted to say how wonderful this classic is!! And nothing like a little pant loosening. Good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so making waffles tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. buttermilk waffles, is there another way?

    so it looks like every blogger post got re-posted... cool - lost comments... not cool at all

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want, I want...These look fantastic :)
    P.S. I was able to post the contest to twitter and facebook :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I visited my parents this weekend and my mom made me waffles *sigh* Oh how i miss family! They weren't yummy buttermilk waffles like these (delish by the way!) but they were sure good.

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say??? Tell me! I'd love to hear your thoughts!