Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mini Banana Muffins with Mascarpone Cheese Frosting

Pin It Now!

Muffins.

I love muffins. Sure they take time to bake, but when you're done, they're done.

Huh? What do I mean?

Once you put in the time and effort into making the muffins, they become a no-fuss-on-the-go-breakfast.

I prefer not to fuss in the morning myself, unless I run out of coffee, then I fuss like a three month old. Not a pretty sight.

The only thing I like more than regular muffins are mini muffins. They're cute and petite. ...What I am striving to become. They are the same amount of fun as a regular muffin, but 1/3 of the size.

33% of the size
33% of the calories
100% chance I'll end up eating 20 of them, telling myself these facts with each bite.

Yum. Full. Yum.

...My pants are feeling tighter already.

These muffins are so delicious that you can eat them with the wrapper on and they still taste good. Seriously! I'm being quite honest! It's been done. Just ask my brother-in-law :)

He ate one with a wrapper on it this weekend. And still said it was good. A little crunchy, but still good.

My recommendations for you:
a) Eat less than 20.
2) Remove the wrappers before consuming. I know, they're so cute and you don't want to waste a minute of your life not eating these mini muffins.
c) Hide a stash for yourself for your own private consumption. You'd be surprised how fast your 6'3" husband can go through these. (So maybe it's just mine. Thank God he takes off the wrappers).
d) You still have time to enter the giveaway. Hurry! It ends tonight!! A winner will be announced tomorrow! AH! So excited.


Banana Muffins with Mascarpone Cheese Frosting
Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis
Yields: 48 mini muffins
banana muffins, mini muffins, mini banana muffins, mascarpone cheese, frosting, cheese frosting, banana, muffins, mini muffins, giada, breakfast, party food

Ingredients:
Muffins:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 TBS vanilla extract
4 ripe bananas, peeled and coarsely mashed

Frosting:
3 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
6 tTBS (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup mascarpone cheese, room temperature
3 TBS honey
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line mini muffin pan with paper liners.

2. Whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a medium bowl.

3. Beat the sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl. Add the banana, stirring until well combined.

4. Add the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.

5. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Bake the muffins on the middle rack until the tops are golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out with no crumbs attached, about 10 to 12 minutes.

6. For muffin frosting: Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the mascarpone cheese and then beat in the honey. Spread the frosting over the muffins. Top with walnuts.

21 comments:

  1. Jason ate the wrapper?!?! Of course it's MY husband that accomplishes that. So everyone knows - these muffins were the rave of our daughter's baptism party! That at Emily's cake and cupcakes and every other thing that she baked! :o)

    Love you, Em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so frekkin cute! I love mini muffins. Who cares if you eat 20?? They are too cute and look WAY too good to leave them unattended

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL that is hilarious that he ate the wrapper. "A little crunchy...but still good" haha. I am a mini muffin fan as well. And it's SO hard to only eat a few...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute are these little guys!? I love banana muffins and whatdaya know.. I have bananas in my freezer right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily, you started my day with a smile. The muffins really do sound delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE banana muffins. I know this recipe! I've got it on my site, too. However, I've never made the mascarpone cheese frosting. I'm sure it just elevates the banana muffin even more, though :-) The wrapper! Oh, how funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are beautiful! I loooove the combo of bananas and cream cheese frosting, so I'm sure this mascarpone will be a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And when they're done...you can eat 24 of them! Oh wait, you said under 20. Darn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And it just so happens I have bananas at home perfectly ripe for muffins. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love miniature food...especially muffins. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow the cheese is perfect combo here want some right now~

    ReplyDelete
  12. just darling.... cute as buttons ... yup, could eat a good 20 myself

    ReplyDelete
  13. Emily, this sounds pretty irresistible! Btw, are they for sale? ha... Thanks for sharing. Hope you're enjoying your day.
    Blesings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  14. yum! i also LOVE muffins for breakfast ... and mascarpone frosting sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks wonderfully with the cheese topping yummy looking muffins

    ReplyDelete
  16. Emily...what beautiful little treats you created. They almost look too pretty to eat. Almost! Thank you for sharing these eats with me tonight. I've missed you and your lovely blog! I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow. Love from Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love muffins too! mini or jumbo especially if you use mascarpone cheese frosting!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Emily, this is such a wonderful flavor for muffins! I love the mascarpone filling and banana combination - It must have tasted incredible! You have a beautiful blog and I'm glad to have found it. Going to check out more of your recipes now! :) - Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  19. The mini muffins are adorable and look totally scrumptious, love the mascarpone cheese frosting here!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Adding frosting doesn't make it a cupcake?! Good news! My dog loves to eat the wrappers...perhaps, I shall just grease the muffins tins to be safe. I hate to loose those crumbs that stick to the wrappers. Best to take them straight out of the tin.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum! I love everything about these... especially that they are mini!!!

    New to your blog; happy I found you!

    Mary
    http://delightfulbitefuls.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say??? Tell me! I'd love to hear your thoughts!